Sunday, December 27, 2009

STEAK HOUSE CAFETERIA - Walhalla, SC

If you ever find yourself in Walhalla SC, you owe it to yourself to check out The Steak House Cafeteria on Main Street.














The first thing to keep in mind is that the name is somewhat of a misnomer. The only steak you might find on the cafeteria line is country style steak. I have heard that they serve steak once a year on New Year's Eve, but I can't confirm that fact.


What you really want, especially if it is your first time at The Steak House Cafeteria, is the "Arabian Rooster" fried Chicken
. This is what the cafeteria is famous for. The restaurant has been on Main Street since 1944, but the current owner, Abed Yassen, took ownership in 1973. Abed studied what made other people's chicken good and took a little from different recipes to come up with his own fried chicken.

Inside you will find your standard cafeteria line staffed by friendly people on the line and at the register. The photo below shows part of the restaurant from the exit door looking back toward the serving line. Don't worry, if the restaurant looks crowded, they have 3 rooms of tables.














On our last visit we both got almost the same things. I ordered chicken with baked macaroni and cheese pie and my wife got the chicken with black eye peas. I've never had any vegetable off the line that wasn't really good. These breasts look a little smaller than what they normally serve, but neither one of us could completely finish our chicken. And the tasty crust is equal to the juicy flavorful meat itself.



























For dessert, I had the sugar free apple pie and my wife had the apple dumpling. The apple dumpling is her all time favorite, but they only serve it occasionally in the fall/winter months. If you're lucky it might be on the menu when you go. However, besides these two desserts, I find most of the other desserts just ok and usually put most of my eating effort into the chicken and the vegetables.



























The Steak House Cafeteria is a little more pricey than most cafeterias. The above meals with a couple of beverages ran us around $18.00, but everything is such high quality and done right that I never feel that I overspent for what I got.


Please check out The Steak House Cafeteria next time you find yourself around the Wahalla, Seneca, Clemson area of South Carolina. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

3 comments:

Miss Directed said...

now I'm hungry.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your kind words about our restaurant... Please let us know when you are back in the area...

Frontal Lobe said...

We usually get to Walhalla 4-6 times a year and eat at your GREAT restaurant every time.