Friday, May 10, 2013

EL MATADOR


Sometimes it's good to visit an old friend, which we did tonight when we went to El Matador. We used to go to this restaurant a lot, but over the years, it became "We should go there again sometime". So, we finally just set a date and went.  In case you don't know, El Matador (to the best of my knowledge) was the first Mexican Restaurant in Greenville back in 1968 and the quality of the food has never wavered. The meal we had tonight was right on target with all the meals we've eaten there through the years.



You're served complimentary salsa and chips to begin and we always just go for the mild which is spicy enough. It has a great fresh taste and I assume it's made in house.



We also had a small cheese dip, I don't think I've ever been to El Matador and not had cheese dip.



Peggy had a super tostada with beef and a chile relleno.  The chile relleno is like no other I've ever had. It's a chile stuffed with beef and cheddar cheese and wrapped into a ball and battered and deep fried. The flavor reminds me of real buttered popcorn (you know before they came out with that goop they use on popcorn now).


I tried something new (for me), a pollo fundido (seasoned chicken with three cheeses, deep fried, then baked with more cheese). Ok, that's a lot of cheese but it works. Our tab (with two beverages) was 28.00 pre-tip. We had our favorite server Rusty (I don't know how long he's been at El Matador, but I swear he doesn't age). Rusty is one of the top servers you will have anywhere. So the lesson here is, don't forget your old favorites. They were your favorites for a reason and are just waiting for your return.


No comments: